Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Drive

Dear Friends,
I just walked in the door from what was intended to be a nice and cheap family outing. Now, I must blog about it in order not to cry at the humanity of it all. As previously discussed, Daniel and I are trying to live off of mostly nothing to get some stupid stuff paid off. We have been locked in the house since yesterday as we all have a cold and don't want to expose anyone else. But, we were feeling a little cabin fever and thought we would go out for ice cream. This is cheap, right?

$7.89 to be exact for a large fry, large Diet Coke, small Frosty and medium Frosty. We pulled into a parking space and Daniel crawled in the back to share with Claire. She is a Smyth and we love our french fries and frosties! We are enjoying the moment of bottled air, but the beauty of a dreary day. Finally, I decided I wanted to head on home. We were at the Wendy's on Louetta and for any of you who live near...this is a big mess with them working on the road and intersection. I should have known.

I waited for an open space, to turn right. I was EVEN TURNING RIGHT! When I actually needed to go left in order to avoid the drama of turning left without a light. I waited for a large opening and pulled out. About five seconds later, and it was a long five seconds...I see a large SUV coming close to slamming into the back of me as her horn was blaring.

I was sure I had given myself plenty of room. I was sure that there were two lanes. Daniel says I was in the "right". But, honestly...that was beside the point.

As the SUV swerves into the left lane...horn still blaring...I turn and look. A harsh-looking woman in the driver's seat is leaning over the man in the passenger seat and I hear her scream through my closed window..."F$#@ing Idiot!!!" with her middle finger proudly unrolled with a fierceness at the end of her arm that I have never seen. Claire was still enjoying her Frosty in the backseat.

My afternoon outing with my family took a very sad turn. Something like that really gets to me. I try to quiet my mind and tell myself that maybe she was having a bad day. Maybe she is a bad person. Maybe she will get what's coming to her. Daniel and I talked about the fact that this would be a "teaching" moment if Claire had been older.

At what point do we get that angry? Even if I pulled out in front her... At what point is it ok for us to completely denigrate our fellow man. It makes me sad in that moment...what world have I brought my daughter into? I know there is good...I have so many friends and family that prove that to me everyday. But, what if that disappointment of a woman was Claire's teacher or coach someday? I hope that she realized what she did was wrong. But, somehow I think not. I'm better now.

I got it out. God grant me the strength to finish the evening off joyfully.
k

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

joyful joyful we adore Thee, God of mercy, Lord of light. I hear it in my head sometimes, and now I hope it's in yours. She could be mentally ill and off her meds. If so, the nice thing is she can't help it and she's not always that way.... (Probably not, but when I"m in those situations, that scenario makes me feel like at least this can't happen to most rational people.)
--Amy P.

Melissa D. said...

Amen. It is amazing how quickly people will rush to be rude and make gestures, sometimes even when they were obviously the ones who made the mistake. I'm with you it is very upsetting. I hate that it messed up your lovely little outing. :( I hope today bring better encounters.