Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Half-Full

Do you ever have one of those moments, those moments of clarity? Of course you do, and for some of us they are fewer and far between than for others. My most recent came this evening as I opened the door to the Pizza Hut delivery man. Let me back up...the husband and I are trying to save money, pay stuff off, eat out less. So, while Daniel was flying out of town, I took the opportunity to order me a pizza. Pineapple, stuffed-crust...my favorite.

My littlest turd of a dog started barking. Claire is asleep. The doorbell rings before I can get it open...damn it. So, I open the door up to who seems to be a nice middle-aged Indian man. The total bill was $15.52 and I had already decided that I would give the delivery person my $20 bill. When I handed the guy the $20, he began to dig in his pockets for change. He looked up at me and with a smile, muttered something about change back and I told him that I didn't need change. At this point I'm digging in the box to make sure they remembered the ranch dressing. But, I noticed in his eyes the excitement of a fairly good tip.

This could have been my Dad.

Needless to say, I felt like a schmuck because the big tip was more because I didn't have change than it was just a nice thing to do.

How is it that in this vast world of immense beauty and God's glorious gifts, that we get caught up with the ranch dressing? We get caught up in the "me" game. I get caught up in the "me" game. So, the moral...tip big, and thank God you aren't standing with your hand out hoping for it.
k

No comments: