Monday, August 10, 2009

Just when I thought I was a good parent...

Today began with a wake-up around 6a.m., which is abnormal in my household since my daughter wakes up between 4:30 and 5a.m. most days. In fact, it seemed that I had woken up on my own, without her sweet voice to rouse me. So, I slowly made my way to the bathroom and as I drizzle into the bowl, I'm thinking...maybe I should check on her. It's not like her to sleep so late. So, I head back to my side of the bed and looked for the monitor, noticing that the light wasn't on! I'm thinking it has died because I distinctly remember turning it on last night...nope...I turned it off in my sleep!! So, I flip the switch and there my sweet baby is...crying to the tune of "Get up you horrible mother!!!!". Luckily, she didn't seem to be in too terrible of sorts, as there were no major crocodile tears or red cheeks.

If that were not enough, I'm eating lunch with my Mom and rather sleepy and hungry baby... Well, I'm trying everything to keep her happy, so that my Mom and I can have a conversation. Hand her toy...on the floor. Hand her the lid to the puffs...on the floor. Hand her the spoon...on the floor. In my vacancy of thought I handed her a knife. Granted, not a steak knife, just a soft edged table knife, but nonetheless a knife! Now, after about 2 seconds I realized what I had done and snatched it away with a comment like "That wasn't a good idea...what was I thinking?" There was my Mom, and none too impressed. You would think after an inadvertent full night of sleep that I wouldn't be handing my one year old a knife to play with. Just when I thought I was a good parent...

1 comment:

Melissa D. said...

I've done that . . . with the monitor, and um, maybe with the knife too. :) enjoying your blog, so fun to connect with old friends again.